We love to shine a spotlight on the very cool people who work in our stores and head office because they’re the ones who ‘live’ the rebellious, unique Dr. Martens brand… and know how to seriously rock a pair of Doc’s of course.
Meet Dan, our UK Marketing Manager here in our Camden office. We caught up with him to find out more about his style inspiration, love for UK Grime and of course everything Doc’s below…
My name is Daniel Freeland and I’ve been with the brand for almost 14 years. I’ve held numerous product, marketing and PR roles within the business but for the past 6 years I’ve headed up the UK Marketing Team. We oversee everything from advertising, PR, music projects, events, influencer marketing right through to in-store marketing, new store launches, promo’s, and brand partnerships. It’s a really varied role, and I am lucky enough to meet really interesting and talented people on a daily basis. I am also one of the culture leads within the business and work with the amazing culture team here at DM’s who’s continue to make DM’s a great place to work.
What Dr. Martens products are you wearing in your photo?
I am wearing one of our most recent collabs – this 1461 shoe has been designed with our friends at Jeff Staple. I love the pigeon camo suede upper design and the pink-pop details. A clever spin on one our classic silhouettes.
Tell us about your first Dr. Martens:
My first DM’s were a pair of Cherry Red Arcadia 3989’s. I remember a skilled shoe expert called Chris Munns from our sourcing team at the time taking them into our UK factory and polishing them to within an inch of their life before they were handed back to me. I loved those brogues. Weirdly enough Chris is still in the shoe game and our daughters are in the same class – he always rocks a good shoe at the school gates.
How would you describe your style?
Consistent – I know that sounds really boring but I don’t like to over complicate things. I am a sucker for the classic white tee as it can be teamed up with pretty much anything. Outside of that I just like well-designed and utilitarian products from brands such as Universal Works, Carhartt, Barbour and Levis. I will always throw a bit of camo in the mix or a bright coloured sock but really I just like my gear to fit and offer long-term durability. A bit like a good pair of Doc’s really.
Name 3 tracks you can’t get enough of:
Working at DM’s I get exposed to such a wide range of acts and genre’s. Since we’ve launched our new Mixcloud channel, I’m discovering loads of new talent but also loads of acts I haven’t heard for years… but for me, I’m really enjoying:
1. Black Magic – The Amazons. The band played our new Chester Store recently and they will also be popping up at our new Reading store to help launch it in what is their home town. I can see these guys doing big things.
2. Wall Of Glass – Liam Gallagher. I was a 90’s teenager so Brit Pop has always been my go-to. It’s great to see the big man back at the mic and back to his best.
3. Anything UK Grime – I just love the ethos and energy this genre is creating right now. For me, the pioneers of this genre have a real punk ethos and they are 100% in tune with modern day youth culture.
Tell us your favourite thing about the city you live in?
I am lucky enough to live in my hometown Kettering, where my family and close friends still reside. But equally I get to work in the melting pot of London each day so it’s a great balance between city life and family and friends. For me, I love the diversity of London – the people, the culture, the style, the music, the food – it has so much to offer every day of the week and some of the best retail stores on the planet which makes it an extra special place.
If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
Outside of work, my passion is football and I manage my sons under 9’s football team so I would have liked to have met Brian Clough. I really enjoyed Cloughie’s straight talking approach and his man management skills but moreover his ability to strip things back and simplify concepts to get the most out of his teams. Also what an eccentric character. As they say, they don’t make them like that anymore.
What are your top 3 product picks this season?
1. Black Cavendish – Part of our DM’s Lite Collection, I literally live in mine and they are THE most comfortable shoe I’ve worn in my time at DM’s.
2. White Dante – You can wear this style with pretty much anything.
3. Ridge ST – I do love a bit of weekend DIY and every man needs a good pair of safety boots in his locker. Our industrial team have made seismic product developments to the range over the past 24-months and the Ridge ST is top draw both in terms of design and performance.
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
100% it would have to be teleportation. Imagine the extra time you could spend with family, friends and getting more rest by not having to sit on planes, trains and automobiles. Not to mention the environmental benefits.
And finally, what do you stand for?
Giving 100%, doing your best and not taking life too seriously.
If you want to be part of the incredible Dr. Martens team, check out job openings online here.